Re: [MirageOS-devel] ANN: mirage.2.3.0 released

> On 10 Mar 2015, at 14:41, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On 10 Mar 2015, at 14:17, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Great!

>>> openmirage.org isn't responding for me (even to pings).
>>
>> Interesting -- we've uncovered a race condition in the Xen netback
>> bringup with the new release.  Putting in a very small sleep in
>> the Netfront initialisation is causing the dom0 bridge to unwedge
>> and then work.  I'm investigating it, although I may need your
>> assistance with this one Daveâ
>
> Uh-oh! Does the bridge device and the vif device in dom0 look ok, and
> do the xenstore backend and frontend directories both have âstate = 4â?
> â I assume they all look right and the bug is more of a race between
> the backend and frontend init code.
>
> If I had to guess I would try inserting a xenstore wait here:
>
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-net-xen/blob/6369abd80904ca98194abc07e676ecdb0a371b3c/lib/netif.ml#L300
>
> to wait for the backend to enter âstate = 4â before writing data to the
> ring and signalling the event channel. Perhaps itâs wedged because the
> event was ignored. A wait loop would look like this one:
>
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-block-xen/blob/a64d152586c7ebc1d23c5adaa4ddd440b45a3a83/lib/blkback.ml#L388
>
> only with the condition being âstate = Device_state.(to_string Connected)"
>
> Of course a xenstore wait might just be a workaround by causing a delay.
> Perhaps we should read the Linux netback code to see what itâs doing.

Indeed, Dave tracked this one down to the mirage-net-xen driver not
waiting for the backend to be fully ready.  I've merged and released
the fix in https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/pull/3709.

The live site is now running this, so please do let us know if anyone
sees any start-of-day packet loss with this version of the driver.