Re: [MirageOS-devel] tuntap on Yosemite

> On 24 Mar 2015, at 11:42, Heidi Howard <hh360@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi All
>
> This isn't specific to mirageOS but i assume there a good number of tuntap
> users here.
>
> I have just install tuntap from the pkg on Yosemite (v 10.10.2) and the
> installation seems to have worked fine:
> e.g.
>
> $ sudo ls /dev/tap
> tap0   tap10  tap12  tap14  tap2   tap4   tap6   tap8
> tap1   tap11  tap13  tap15  tap3   tap5   tap7   tap9
>
> But i can't seem to use the tap0 interface, mirageos application cannot
> connect to tap0 (though they work fine in my other machine) and neither can I
> using ifconfig.

What is the exact failure mode?  Are you using `mirage-net-unix` or
`mirage-net-macosx` when the application is compiled? The `unix` library uses
tuntap (the old behaviour) and the `macosx` library uses the Yosemite-specific
Vmnet kernel module (which doesnt require the installation of an external kmod,
and supports bridging traffic).

You can force the use of tuntap on MacOS X via "mirage configure -t unix"
(otherwise it is defaulted to "mirage configure -t macosx")