Re: [MirageOS-devel] Web server MIME types / content types

On 30 May 2015, at 21:02, Matthew Gray <matthew.thomas.gray@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > It looks like mirage-seal is going in this direction, with the caveats
> > that a) it's a testbed for TLS support, and b) it does not send
> > content-type yet.
>
> Thanks for noticing, I've created
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-seal/issues/4 to track that. Patches are
> welcome :-)
>
> Here's a patch https://github.com/mirage/mirage-seal/pull/7,  - I more or
> less lifted it verbatim from Len's patch... :)
>
> I see mirage-seal as a default way to publish static contents with mirage in
> the near future. I plan to add a mode to serve HTTP contents only (but yes,
> currently the goal is to test the other libraries).
>
> I could definitely use HTTP-only, I'll have a look at doing that next.

The overall issue here is that we need a better place to put in default
webserving logic that is sensible for real-world page serving instead of just
raw HTTP.  Right now we have a few libraries in this stack:

- Cohttp (the low level HTTP protocol)
- Mirage-HTTP (the application of Cohttp to the Mirage networking stack)
- Mirage-skeleton (sample basic applications)
- Opium (a request routing web framework)
- Mirage-Seal (a convenient CLI frontend to configuring static web apps)

Mirage-Skeleton is being used right now (as Andrew did) to experiment with
simple web applications, but shouldn't be the place where logic such as MIME
detection is stored, as this should go into a library.  Similarly, Mirage-Seal
shouldn't have all this either, since it's a thin CLI layer that configures
libraries.

The right place ultimately for the MIME detection logic is either in
Mirage-HTTP, which does very little at the moment aside from combine the CoHTTP
and Mirage-TCP functors. The other possible place is Opium; I really enjoyed
using Opium as a user for my own website, and so am keen to see that progress.

(while this structuring of libraries may seem painful now, it's really
worthwhile in the longer term for maintainability!)

regards
Anil