Re: [MirageOS-devel] Random thought for an OPAM feature

> On 6 Jun 2015, at 14:13, Richard Mortier <richard.mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 4 June 2015 at 23:02, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The goal is to keep the master branches of mirage-www and mirage-skeleton
>> always work fine with base opam, and have a mirage-dev branch on these repo
>> when we prepare a bulk release in mirage/mirage-dev.
>>

> It's a start, and probably something useful to have. My concern is
> that we won't be rigorous in keeping the master/dev branches aligned
> with the release/dev OPAM repos, and the same confusion will result.
> Having the capability with OPAM that I suggested might provide the
> "end user" with a simple way to reconcile temporary breakageâ

I see this from two perspectives.  One is that of a MirageOS developer and the
other is of a MirageOS user (I hope that distinction makes sense).

For the developer, what Mortâs suggested makes a lot of sense.  Being able to
get âThe state of MirageOSâ for a given date seems like it would be pretty
useful (as would being able to share that list with people).

For an end user, I donât think we should ever have to say âpin to a date with
known-good package-setsâ.  Itâs an extra thing to think of (and therefore an
extra thing to get wrong or have to ask about in bug reports).  Itâs reasonable
for a user to expect that things are in sync with mainstream opam and we should
keep things that way.  If a user experiences breakage with that set, we should
treat it as a bug and remedy it accordingly.

In terms of keeping things aligned, I think we just have to ensure a divide
between 'pushes to devâ branches and âreleases to masterâ branches.  I think
weâve done ok with mirage-dev so far so this just seems like a matter of
pushing to different branches instead of master.  I believe the only additional
steps would then be merging mirage-www and mirage-skeleton dev branches into
master upon release (assuming no conflicts).  That doesnât seem particularly
onerous â unless, Iâm missing something?

Amir