Re: [MirageOS-devel] Minimum requirements to run unix unikernel

On 9 June 2015 at 09:28, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> or just inside a scratch container and get the following error:
>>>
>>>    System error: no such file or directory
>>>
>>> So, questions:
>>>
>>> * Is the unix unikernel statically linked? ie. is the above ever going to
>>> work?
>>> * What about the underlying OS needs to be the same?
>>> * Any debugging tips or ah ha observations?
>>
>> No, it is not statically linked. I am interested in fixing that...
>
> Maybe the 4.01.0+musl+static [1] switch could help? (need musl-gcc)
>
> ```
> opam switch 4.01.0+musl+static
> eval `opam config env`
> opam install mirage
> ```
>
> I never used that switch yet, but I believe it should works fine. Would be
> interested to know if there also issues related to OCaml itself.

No, it builds ocaml ok, but most of the mirage requirements wont
build, some because eg it can't find libev that works with Musl, some
things seem to want dynamic linking, some other less clear issues.

Trying to build using the musl-gcc wrapper on a non Musl based distro
is probably not going to work as there is no nice way to eg build
libev against Musl. Fixing it to build ona  Musl distro and then
turning on static linking seems a better option.

Justin