Re: [MirageOS-devel] Rust unikernels

On 27 July 2015 at 15:54, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 27 July 2015 at 09:36, Geoffroy Couprie <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]
>>> The only driver needed for Mirage is the console driver, for early
>>> boot messages. Mirage has its own OCaml implementations of Xenbus and
>>> Xenstore, so replacing them isn't needed to get rid of the C. Much of
>>> Mini-OS is optional and unused (and it would be better to package the
>>> optional bits separately really).
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> So Mirage only needs the console and a way to talk with the Xenbus.
>
> Actually, Mirage doesn't even use Mini-OS's Xenbus, but has its own:
>
>   https://github.com/mirage/shared-memory-ring
>
>> Is the scheduling handled by MiniOS or by Mirage?
>
> Mirage:
>
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-platform/blob/master/xen/lib/main.ml
>
> Mini-OS does provide preemptive threading, but we don't use it currently.

Correction: Mini-OS's threading is also cooperative. However, it
should be fairly easy to change it. You'd just need to preserve more
registers, I think, at least on ARM (I know very little about x86).

>>> Every function in Mirage that might need to wait instead immediately
>>> returns a promise. e.g. the read function is defined as:
>>>
>>> val read: flow -> [`Ok of buffer | `Eof | `Error of error ] io
[...]
>>> See https://mirage.io/wiki/tutorial-lwt for more details.
>>>

>> From what I understand, Lwt is a green threads library. I would have
>> thought Mirage needed to emulate OS threads, but it looks like this
>> would be enough for most use cases.
>
> Yep. Hardware is easiest to drive with callbacks, but traditional OS
> kernels go to a lot of trouble to present a blocking, synchronous API
> to userspace. Green threading libraries then have to mess around with
> OS threads to recover the asynchronous callback-based API. With
> Mini-OS, all that goes away.
>
>> Are multiple cores supported?
>
> No. Currently the recommendation is to spin up multiple VMs if you
> need multiple cores. Rust should be good at supporting this though.

>>> Mirage can also be compiled to a Unix process and debugged with gdb
>>> and similar in most cases. I believe Xen also provides for debugging
>>> of guests from dom0, but I've never used that.

>>> I'd probably start with the page allocator:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/talex5/mini-os/blob/master/mm.c
>>>
>>> /*
>>>  * Initialise allocator, placing addresses [@min,@max] in free pool.
>>>  * @min and @max are PHYSICAL addresses.
>>>  */
>>> static void init_page_allocator(unsigned long min, unsigned long max)
>>>
>>> This gets called early during boot with all the free RAM as the
>>> argument. It provides alloc_pages and free_pages to allocate from this
>>> range.
>>>
>> I'll take a look
>>

>>> Another possible starting place is the console driver:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/talex5/mini-os/blob/master/console/console.c
>>>
>>> That's a bit harder though because you're writing to memory shared
>>> with dom0, so you need to be careful about memory barriers and atomic
>>> operations. I assume Rust can handle this nicely? It would be fun to
>>> see how to use Rust's ownership types to ensure that other bits of
>>> code can't write to parts of a shared buffer that dom0 may be reading,
>>> etc.
>>>

>> There are atomic types available, and a way to represent memory
>> fences: https://doc.rust-lang.org/std/sync/atomic/
>
> Great :-)

One other thing I should mention: Mini-OS runs in kernel mode and can
be interrupted at any time. On x86, the interrupt handler uses the
same stack as the rest of the code. Therefore, you must compile with
the Rust equivalent of -mno-red-zone so Rust doesn't assume it can
store things below the current stack pointer.

--
Dr Thomas Leonard        http://roscidus.com/blog/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDA  BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA