[MirageOS-devel] Updating TROVE or maintaining a remote

  • To: mirageos-devel <mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 12:03:57 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 11:04:08 +0000

Hi all,

Christophe Troestler and Amir have been working on some infrastructure to make
it easier to manage the growing number of distributed MirageOS repositories.
These not only include the core libraries, but also the essential
community-driven ones that aren't directly MirageOS-related but are still core
(like Lwt, or Daniel Buenzli's many libraries, or Rump kernel), and then
higher-level efforts like the TLS stack or the very new CCM-encrypted block
storage [1].

So to drive these scripts, we need some metadata to get the list of
repositories.  We currently use the TROVE [2] file to keep track, but this is
always a little incomplete, and doesn't distinguish between the sorts of
repositories.

My proposal is to maintain all of this metadata within OPAM.  We already have a
"org:mirage" tag for many of the repositories, and it's possible to query the
"dev-repo" field to get the raw Git repository from there.  What is missing is:

- an OPAM remote that we maintain with all the unreleased packages (like the
ongoing ones for networking by Mindy, Jitsu by Magnus, autoscaling by
Mort/Masoud and so on).  This would only be used for metadata purposes.

- Add additional tags to make it easier to filter these repositories.  I'm open
to what these should be, but something task-oriented is probably most useful.
e.g. mirage-net2 for the reworked network stack, or mirage-irmin for any
storage related activities).

- Build a dashboard view of issues, commits and so on from the aggregation of
this. Christophe is currently working on this, and I'm keen to add issue
tracking to make releases and standardised labelling of issues in GitHub
easier.  Once David Sheets finishes up the next iteration of Codoc, we can also
generate cross-referenced documentation.

Any thoughts on this?  Christophe is working on this infrastructure right now,
and we're keen to get something up and running in August.  I'm particularly
interested in missing workflow features that would make your life easier as
MirageOS developers and users.

[1] https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/pull/4625
[2] https://github.com/mirage/mirage-www/blob/master/TROVE

thanks