Re: [MirageOS-devel] Updating TROVE or maintaining a remote

Le vendredi, 7 aoÃt 2015 Ã 12:03, Anil Madhavapeddy a Ãcrit :
> - Add additional tags to make it easier to filter these repositories. I'm
> open to what these should be, but something task-oriented is probably most
> useful. e.g. mirage-net2 for the reworked network stack, or mirage-irmin for
> any storage related activities).

The tags mecanism is currently underused by opam users and the system in
general â e.g. I would to be able to be able to browse
http://opam.ocaml.org/packages/ by tags. Also `opam list` should make it easier
to list all the package with a given tag.

Having a list of all tags in the repo at http://opam.ocaml.org/packages/tags
would allow authors to cooperate on finding good common tags to evolve the opam
package taxonomy. opam lint could then warn about empty tags fields and
redirect authors to that page to ask them to try to label their work a bit
which would improve the overall labelling.

However instead of "task-oriented" I would rather suggest "topic-based", e.g.
`networking`, `tls`, `dhcp`, `tcp`, `storage`, along with a `mirage` (not
org:mirage) tag only if it has specific support to be used with mirage. In
general I would stay away of compound `mirage-bla` tags, a tag should support a
single concept.

On my side my packages usually have at least the org:erratique tag (for
maintenance reasons) and for codecs I try to add at least the name of the
standard they implement and the `codec` tag.

Best,

Daniel