Re: [MirageOS-devel] Updating TROVE or maintaining a remote

On 7 Aug 2015, at 13:23, Daniel BÃnzli <daniel.buenzli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le vendredi, 7 aoÃt 2015 Ã 12:03, Anil Madhavapeddy a Ãcrit :
>> - Add additional tags to make it easier to filter these repositories. I'm
>> open to what these should be, but something task-oriented is probably most
>> useful. e.g. mirage-net2 for the reworked network stack, or mirage-irmin for
>> any storage related activities).
>
> The tags mecanism is currently underused by opam users and the system in
> general â e.g. I would to be able to be able to browse
> http://opam.ocaml.org/packages/ by tags. Also `opam list` should make it
> easier to list all the package with a given tag.
>
> Having a list of all tags in the repo at http://opam.ocaml.org/packages/tags
> would allow authors to cooperate on finding good common tags to evolve the
> opam package taxonomy. opam lint could then warn about empty tags fields and
> redirect authors to that page to ask them to try to label their work a bit
> which would improve the overall labelling.
>
> However instead of "task-oriented" I would rather suggest "topic-based", e.g.
> `networking`, `tls`, `dhcp`, `tcp`, `storage`, along with a `mirage` (not
> org:mirage) tag only if it has specific support to be used with mirage. In
> general I would stay away of compound `mirage-bla` tags, a tag should support
> a single concept.
>
> On my side my packages usually have at least the org:erratique tag (for
> maintenance reasons) and for codecs I try to add at least the name of the
> standard they implement and the `codec` tag.

This sounds sensible to me.  The only thing I don't understand is why ["mirage"
"networking"] instead of ["org:mirage" "networking"].  I can see the following
interpretations for the tags in the package:

 - org:mirage -- this is a package maintained by the MirageOS team. The
mirage-tcpip stack would have this tag.
 - mirage -- this is a package that is part of the MirageOS ecosystem. Lwt for
example could have this tag.
 - networking -- this is a networking-related package. Something non-Mirage
related could also use it.

So despite 'org:mirage' being a subset of 'mirage', we would for simplicity
have all three tags associated with the mirage-tcpip library.

Btw, I agree that doing a tag-based output would be useful in the short term on
the opam2web site.