Re: [MirageOS-devel] Not just docs but more!

On 3 Jun 2015, at 20:13, Richard Mortier <richard.mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Following on from Dave's recent request concerning docs, I wondered on
> today's call if it would be a good idea to capture some "best
> practice" examples onto a wiki page somewhere.  I'm thinking of best
> practices in areas like:
>
> + docs-- perhaps cmdliner? others?
>
> + unit testing-- perhaps ocaml-vchan? others?
>
> + integration testing-- we've got ocaml-travisci-skeleton, but any
> particularly complete examples of its use? mirage-www perhaps?
>
> + code coverage-- not sure; Dave, you seem to use this a lot -- thoughts?
>
> Anyone other suggestions for things that would be useful to see "best
> practice" on?
>
> (And, obviously, this list can and probably should evolve and extend
> over time :)

If people haven't seen it yet, Gabriel Radanne has done a fantastic
job of improving the Mirage frontend configuration DSL via a new
library called "Functoria".

https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/441

This opens up a whole new set of interesting frontend options for
configuring key/values in libraries (see the Dot graphs in the pull
request comments above).

While that's being prepared for a release, this is a good time to
think about the documentation and checklists for best practises
on our wiki.  Would anyone be willing to pull together some of the
best practises from the disparate sources about what we do right
now, and then we can figure out how to integrate some of them into
the configuration DSL as appropriate? (for instance, recompiling with
profiling enabled could be automated)