Re: [MirageOS-devel] Fwd: Amazon EC2 support now in Rumprun

This sounded quite interesting, so I've made a start. Obviously very early
days, but the code so far is here: https://github.com/jonludlam/ocaml-iso9660

>> Andrew: do you have some pointers to the rumprun code / examples so I know
>> what needs implementing?

No I don't, but Antti is the right person to comment.

My understanding is that the rump kernel comes up and then mounts the block
device that EC2 loaded it from which is probably sda1/xvda1.

The rump kernel has a configuration file json.cfg which specifies the block
device to mount and where to mount them.  I think it also allows specification
of iso9660 files (created by genisoimage with the -r parameter) which are then
loaded from the mounted block devices and mounted by the rump kernel as cdrom
devices.

Something like that.  Antti might be able to describe whatâs actually going on
as Iâm just describing what I think is going on.

The great thing about this is that storing the unikernel and the iso9660 image
on the root kernel that EC2 boots from means it is possible to have a single
EBS to boot from in EC2, and yet be able to change the files included, without
a recompilation of the unikernel, which is what is typically required if files
are being stored in the unikernel executable (a technique which also has great
utility of course, but for different things, and something that the rump kernel
canât yet do but is on the todo list once an effective approach has been worked
out).

as