Re: [MirageOS-devel] OUnit Patch

> I guess oUnit is dead (that patch was first submitted in 2013). Maybe
> one of the other frameworks would be better, although the work-around
> is OK if you don't need to run tests in parallel. Mirage has alcotest,
> although I haven't used it in my own code:
>
> https://github.com/mirage/alcotest
>
> Perhaps someone on mirage-devel (CC'd) could give a quick overview of
> its benefits (apart from defaulting to not crashing, obviously)...

I'm not sure these are real benefit but:

- it does not use OUnit (at least since version 0.4). You can define your own
"test" combinators[1].
- it produces a binary which produces tests, which have a nice man page, a nice
output with lots of colors
- you can easily play only a subset of the tests, and display one specific test
output

Some examples: irmin-chunk[2] or ciso[3].

Thomas

[1]: https://github.com/mirage/alcotest/blob/master/lib/alcotest.mli#L45
[2]: https://github.com/samoht/irmin-chunk/blob/master/lib_test/test.ml#L59
[3]: https://github.com/samoht/ciso/blob/master/lib_test/test_common.ml#L43