Re: [MirageOS-devel] Syslogd Unikernel

On 2 November 2015 at 22:36, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I've started working on a
>> Syslog parser and a syslogd Unikernel. The latter isn't much more than a
>> mere copy of the stackv4 skeleton at the moment.
>>
>> https://github.com/verbosemode/syslogd-mirage
>> https://github.com/verbosemode/syslog-message
>>
>> Right now the parser just implements RFC3164[1] and ignores the tag
>> field. I'm not sure if a full blown RFC 5424[2] compatible parser is
>> necessary, since most network devices seem to make up their own log
>> format nowadays. All a Syslog daemon can do in this case is parsing the
>> facility and severity value, attaching a timestamp, using the source IP
>> as hostname and treating the rest of the message as payload.
>>
>> I'm an OCaml beginner and not a professional programmer, that's why
>> critique, recommendations and ideas are very welcome ;-)
>
> Welcome!  At a quick glance, the syslog-message looks simple and
> readable (assuming some ocamldoc is also added before a release ;-)
>
> I'd probably stick to a simple RFC3164 core to start with and
> get that released. Having that more fleshed out (e.g. with an
> Irmin backing store) would be more useful than a RFC5424
> implementation from my perspective.

Seconded!

Specifically, if you were looking for more to do with this, I had been
thinking about:

1. Adding this facility into [dog](https://github.com/samoht/dog) --
don't know what the status of dog is at the moment, but perhaps that
would be a reasonable thing to do (@samoht?).

2. Some form of authentication/integrity protection for messages --
[RFC5425](http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5425) appears to be the place
to start.

(Also, I note that this was actually one my [Pioneer
Projects](https://github.com/mirage/mirage-www/wiki/Pioneer-Projects),
which you've done without any mentoring or assistance as far as I know
-- so much for being a "beginner and non-professional programmer"! I
guess I'll mark it mostly done on that list now :)

--
Richard Mortier
richard.mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxx