Re: [MirageOS-devel] How to implement protocols?

different abstractions have
different cognitive overhead,
different time overhead and a
different runtime overhead -

we're driven by tradeoffs
in systems programming goals and
in a real world project resources (human programmer time) which
may mean we choose something that takes
less time to write, and is less generic -
it can be made more generic later (with more work)
we might choose something that has a steeper learning curve
(sockets won as an abstraction of internet protocols over other
APIs/services because  they were easier to learn - they are a pain in
other regards) -

and (as discussed and thanks to jeremy et al for pointers)
some language features have more or less compile v. runtime - even at
the trivial function level, inlining might work - templates in C++
looked good at the time, but require peppering the declartion with all
sorts of quid pro quos about the type assumptions (hard to write,
hard to read) but compile to  faster code than functors (an old
polymorphic type systems design tradeoff etc etc...

more readable doesn't mean more writeable;)