Re: [MirageOS-devel] Query about mirage-tcpip and checksums

The short answer is that the checksum is assumed to have been verified before the packet is handed to the Mirage stack. Â

The problem with doing an additional redundant verification in Mirage is that when two local VMs are talking then the Xen driver, which has offered checksum offload, does not do any actual checksum computation. So all packets arrive with invalid checksums.

The particular call to the null function is there just as a marker that this is where it should be checked.

A proper solution would be to correctly process the offload offers, which mirage doesn't, AFAIK. Clearly if the driver offers offload then checksum computation should not be done on the way out or verification on the way in, else it should. There is a complication that checksum offload can be turned on or off midstream so it may have to change per packet.

A good project for someone interested.