Re: [MirageOS-devel] Thoughts on logging

Le mercredi, 2 dÃcembre 2015 Ã 17:24, Thomas Leonard a Ãcrit :
> Logging came up in today's call again, and it was suggested that
> perhaps we could get started by adding a LOG signature to
> mirage-types.

I think that this would be a design error. I'd rather say that in general one
should rather think about removing things from mirage-types. Each package that
manages to provide a useful service for mirage without having to depend on
mirage-types or that depends on it only optionally should be considered a
greater success than one that depends on it. I think that ocaml-tls' design has
shown a way here.

The question to ask is what does mirage-types represents, what does one put
there ? My own take on this would be that mirages-types should only contain
signatures that are necessary for interacting with the underlying
drivers/hardware/hypervisor interface. By this rule we can quickly see that
putting logging there is very suspicious â of course log *reporting* may
actually interact with the hardware but the whole point of a good logging
system is to be able to decouple logging from reporting.

> - I'm not sure about the callback-based syntax. e.g.
I also found it a bit surprising in the beginning but I got used to it. Besides
I quite like the clear and scoped delineation it makes between what you compute
only for logging and your program. As for using syntax extensions I will not
comment on this since I have been asked to watch my language.

> David Sheets mentioned the example of testing a protocol with two
> endpoints, each with their own logger, for example. It also allows
> libraries to avoid depending on any particular library, if they prefer
> not to do that. And, it prevents libraries from using their loggers
> before the logging system is configured.

Note that both the first thing and last thing you mention can be solved in Logs
using sources, which can be attached e.g. to connections/contexts or specified
in the library initialization function if there is one. Or, if you absolutely
need to use the functor hammer, you can simply specify a source in a functor
argument, but there's no need to functorize over the whole logging interface â
or at least I wouldn't do that.

Best,

Daniel