Re: [MirageOS-devel] Security Protocol Analyzers

On 15 Dec 2015, at 09:00, Michele Orrà <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Daniel BÃnzli <daniel.buenzli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> So my question to you and Michele is what properties are you actually
>> interested to prove ? The notion of "full formal proof" for itself
>> doesn't make much sense.
>>
>> This even more that most standard protocols out there neither have a
>> formal model of legal message exchange beyond a few ambiguous natural
>> language assertions, nor do they come up with an actual model in which
>> the properties they are supposed to guarantee can be asserted.
>
> This may be right, but - and please correct me if I'm wrong - for
> example you can still try to prove formally that a Dolev-Yao adversary
> is never able to retrieve the shared key in a DH key exchange, or in a
> TLS session the master secret is never leaked.
> It's not much as it doesn't require a statistical or computational
> assumptions, but it's a start isn't it?
>
> Â by "prove formally X" I specifically mean "show that the closure on the
> reductions (specified by $MODEL adversary) of the messages transmitted
> has property $PROPERTY".

MirageOS is composed of a series of OCaml libraries, and some of those
are amenable to mechanised reasoning.  There are no whole system proofs.

Some examples:

- SibylFS: formal specification and oracle-based testing for POSIX and
real-world file systems
Tom Ridge, David Sheets, Thomas Tuerk, Anil Madhavapeddy, Andrea Giugliano and
Peter Sewell
in the 25th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP), October 2015
http://anil.recoil.org/papers/2015-sosp-sibylfs.pdf

- Not-quite-so-broken TLS: lessons in re-engineering a security protocol
specification and implementation
David Kaloper Mersinjak, Hannes Mehnert, Anil Madhavapeddy and Peter Sewell
to appear in the 24th USENIX Security Symposium (UseSec15), August 2015
http://anil.recoil.org/papers/2015-usenixsec-nqsb.pdf

Raft Refloated: Do We Have Consensus?
Heidi Howard, Malte Schwarzkopf, Anil Madhavapeddy and Jon Crowcroft
in ACM SIGOPS Operating System Review special issue on Repeatability and
Sharing of Experimental Artifacts, January 2015
http://anil.recoil.org/papers/2014-sigops-raft.pdf
(this one is more geared towards model checking than theorem proving)

Hope that helps,
Anil