Re: [MirageOS-devel] request for beginner project suggestion

On 28 January 2016 at 05:58, Madhuri Yechuri <cosmokramer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Great, thanks for the quick response! i assume below advice still holds
> true, in that case.

Yes.

> ______
> You could start by cloning the mirage-skeleton repository and making a
> new example based on "console" that uses logging rather than printing.
>
> For modifying libraries, you'll need to know how to "opam pin" a
> modified package for testing. There's some useful information here:
>
> https://www.somerandomidiot.com/blog/2015/11/26/quick-changes-in-mirageos/
>
> (however, I find it easier to look in the Makefile to find the
> dependencies, rather than reading the source of the mirage tool, and
> make sure you do "opam pin -k git" to pin in "mixed mode", or you'll
> have endless trouble with stale OASIS files)
> ______
>
> i can start with
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-net-xen/blob/995bcf518b7c8e41e7db79050948bb7ecc1046b2/lib/frontend.ml#L106
> , as listed in the Pioneer Projects page.
>
> Is there a recommended regression test set? i looked around
> https://mirage.io/wiki/contributing, but couldn't find any pointers.

There are no automated tests. Running mirage-skeleton would let you
check if it was working.

Dave Scott made a branch that allowed mirage-net-xen to run on Unix
(by making the Xen stuff abstract), which allowed running unit-tests
easily. I think it needs a bit of work to rebase it on master, though:

https://github.com/djs55/mirage-net-xen/commits/refactor-modules
https://github.com/djs55/mirage-net-xen/blob/refactor-modules/lib_test/test.ml

(many of the changes on this branch have already been merged)

Some proper integration tests that spin up multiple Xen VMs would be
great too. I know this has been discussed a few times, but I'm not
sure what the status is.