Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage on Raspberry Pi 3

Joel Hughes <rudenoise@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on 03/07/2016 10:27:51 AM:
> Am I right in thinking that I can create a uni-kernel with solo5 in
> the form of a .iso? And this image could be run by QEMU like this:

> qemu-system-x86_64 -boot d -cdrom image.iso -m 512

Yes, the Makefile for Solo5 is a bit confusing, but you do end up with an .iso that is then run with QEMU.  You will need a few more parameters to make sure you have the network and disk devices for your unikernel: here is the current way I run them:

https://github.com/djwillia/solo5/blob/mirage/Makefile#L47

> So I'd need to build mirage outside the Pi but could then deploy it this way?

I would think it would be easiest to build a MirageOS/Solo5 unikernel outside, then deploy it to the Pi.  It's easiest to build using the solo5-mirage docker image, which has the build environment all set up.  I don't know if Dockerfiles can be used to build Docker images on different architectures, but I do expect it's possible to get the build environment manually set up on the Pi (install cross compilers, etc.).  I have no experience setting it up on a non-x86 environment so can't comment on how easy that would be, though.

Thanks,
Dan