Re: [MirageOS-devel] MirageOS fortnightly call^H^HIRC - Wednesday *23rd March* at 4pm GMT

  • To: Amir M Chaudhry <amc79@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 17:56:28 +0000
  • Cc: mirageos-devel <mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 17:56:46 +0000

Firstly, that was an incredible hackathon in Morocco -- the Canopy posts on http://canopy.mirage.io with the daily hacklist were great, and I greatly enjoyed merging all the new libraries into OPAM repository :-)

It looks like tomorrow's video call is going to be tricky since many people are double booked due to the California <-> UK timezone shift that leaves us a mere 7 hours adrift.

So for tomorrow, we're going to try an experimental meeting format:

- Everyone push any updates you have to Canopy as a brief paragraph or two.  Mine is up at http://canopy.mirage.io/Posts/Bulk-build for example
- You can do this push by:
 - Fork https://github.com/hannesm/canopy-data to your own Github
 - Write a brief paragraph in Posts/, e.g. like https://github.com/hannesm/canopy-data/pull/3/files for mine
 - Send a PR to canopy-data and merge it yourself if you have access
- We gather in #mirage in Freenode IRC at 4pm GMT tomorrow (Wednesday) and have a quick sync up chat online, and the results are also written into Canopy.
- If there are things that require a video call, we can schedule a smaller group to go through it later.

This is still an experiment, but the Canopy model is really encouraging -- we can push ongoing progress to a git repository and have it appear on the website nice and fast.  It's also self-hosted using Mirage, which is a big deal to push us forward into using our own infrastructure.

We'll need to keep refining Canopy to make it work for us.  I was wondering about a few things Enguerrand/Thomas:
- how do we date posts? Is it just the commit date at the moment?
- should we add tags, or is that just the subdirectory in canopy-data?
- whats remaining to get it working as a Xen unikernel instead of Unix?  Just git push?

If people are interested, I also have a few OPAM reporting scripts that could output in Canopy format, if you'd like a "OPAM libraries this week roundup" there too.  That unifies our changelog scripts too...

Also, I'd like to thank Amir very very much for his manual labours in maintaining the Mirage meeting notes so studiously for so long. I'm hoping that as our community grows, the Canopy approach will reduce the workload on him and spread it out among all of us.  If the IRC format meeting doesn't work out, we can just go back to the normal Jitsi meetings, or work out some rotation so that we get the best of both worlds.

Thoughts welcome, and see you on IRC tomorrow at 4pm UK time!

-a