Re: [MirageOS-devel] xen-arm-builder, pine64 and rpi-boot-ocaml

  • To: Nick Betteridge <lists.nick.betteridge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 21:54:59 +0100
  • Cc: mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 20:55:13 +0000
On 7 Apr 2016, at 16:43, Nick Betteridge <lists.nick.betteridge@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> A Pine64 has just turned up on my desk and I thought I might just have a
> try at building a x-a-b and r-b-o image for the beast.
>
> U-boot, kernel, xenial image etc., is, I believe, almost there for the
> A64/Pine64 and virtualisation should work too.
>
> Can anyone advise me if this is going to lead me to a dead-end - I'm
> assuming that compiling mirage for arm64 should work out of the box?

Not a dead-end, but a slightly twisty maze...

If you have a working Xen, you'll need:

- Working ARM64 ocamlopt backend, which is present in 4.02.3 and improved in
4.03 (due out in the next couple of weeks).  This should be fine, but you may
run into odd compilation issues with some C stubs that should be easily fixable.
- MiniOS ARM64 patches -- no idea what the upstream state of this is, although
I did see some fly by.

Mirage in Unix mode should be the first step, just to make sure it works ok.
Have you got it running to a multiuser prompt to try it out yet?

Mort and I have been slowly getting an ARM64 server up and running here in
Cambridge, so once we get past BIOS UEFI hell we should be able to run
automated builds on it as well.

> I would also like to set up the pine, using r-b-o as a basis, to be able
> to set up a skeleton deployment environment for unikernels - is this
> realistic?

I think the biggest unknown is MiniOS ARM64 support...