Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage OS and Qubes OS integration

On 14 May 2016 at 11:53, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 14 May 2016, at 11:47, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I've just updated it today to support OCaml 4.03, which should bring
>> reproducible builds :-) (requires mirage-qubes >= 0.3).
>> For some reason, the binary size has increased from about 5 MB to
>> about 10 MB (and it no longer runs with 20 MB RAM). I'm not sure what
>> caused that - probably some extra dependency getting pulled in
>> somehow.
>
> Ouch -- that's a big enough binary bump to be treated as a regression.
> It might also just be debug symbols or extra inlining information if you
> are building with -flambda, but if it's a library that has grown much
> larger we should split that up.

After some investigation: mirage-firewall depends on vchan, which
depends on ppx_sexp_conv, which depends on ppx_type_conv -> ppx_core
-> compiler-libs.common, which seems to embed large parts of the OCaml
compiler into my unikernel :-(

Removing "ppx_sexp_conv" from vchan's META file seems to solve the problem.

--
Dr Thomas Leonard        http://roscidus.com/blog/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDA  BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA