Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage/Solo5: What to do about C stubs?

Hannes,

On Tuesday, 19.07.2016 at 18:04, Hannes Mehnert wrote:
> This is the general plan (see also
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-platform/issues/124).  It would IMHO be
> nice if this would be done within the 3.0 release cycle, just to be able
> to declare simple and clean constraints (conflicts: [ mirage-xen <=
> 3.0.0 ] etc.).

Good, so we all agree that stubs are better off in their component packages
rather than mirage-platform / mirage-solo5.

> What is the way forward?  Seemless integration of solo5 won't happen
> before mirage-3.0 anyways.  But there is value in having the solo5 parts
> upstreamed (into opam-repository and the mirage tool) soon (so people
> can more easily play around with it).  The removal of the C stubs in
> mirage-platform/mirage-solo5 should not be entirely on your plate (atm
> I'm investigating topkg+clib+xen_linkopts [see
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-entropy/pull/28], since the oasis and
> postconf.sh/postconf.ml way is rather inconvenient).
>
> I'd think first merge solo5, then move to topkg, then move the cstubs
> into the respective libraries.

There will be some extra work in getting the constraints right once we
start moving stubs out of mirage-solo5, but as you say it's preferable to
get the solo5 components in opam.ocaml.org ASAP for exposure to a wider
audience.

Given that I need to get this done today and tomorrow as otherwise it'll be
stalled for two weeks while I'm on holiday, I'm not going to move any stubs
out of mirage-solo5 now and just submit it as is.

I will start cutting initial releases and submitting the solo5 packages
with solo5-kernel-{ukvm,virtio} today, as soon as the last remaining big
change that we want in the initial Mirage/Solo5 release is merged
(https://github.com/Solo5/solo5/pull/64,
https://github.com/djwillia/mirage/pull/5).

Martin