Re: [MirageOS-devel] NTP client integration with MirageOS / Mini-OS

On 19 August 2016 at 17:59, Hannes Mehnert <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 19/08/2016 17:50, Hannes Mehnert wrote:
>> it is really sufficient to mail to the list, there is no need to send
>> the mail to me and cc the list.

The only two options in gmail are to reply to you personally or to you
and the list (without editing the headers manually, as I've done this
time). How much trouble is it causing your mail client? It's unlikely
I'm going to remember to do this every time I reply to one of your
messages.

>> On 19/08/2016 17:04, Thomas Leonard wrote:
>>> MCLOCK might have internal state for testing, although a global would
>>> work there too if necessary.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "internal state for
>> testing" (and what your approach to testing there is - mine is mainly on
>> the purely implemented protocol rather than on the effectful layer).
>
> to extend a bit: atm some testing in tcpip [0] uses a
> fast_clock/fast_time, which are implementations of clock/time where the
> clock ticks faster.

Right, but this is a hack because we don't have internal state. It
runs slower that it could (it's still waiting, just for less time) and
may fail due to timeouts if the real system is under load (or just
slow). With state, the clock could be set to whatever the unit-tests
want the time to be, allowing the tests to run at the full speed of
the CPU and without the behaviour depending on the load.

--
talex5 (GitHub/Twitter)        http://roscidus.com/blog/
GPG: 5DD5 8D70 899C 454A 966D  6A51 7513 3C8F 94F6 E0CC