Re: [MirageOS-devel] Solo5 and ukvm ARM supports

  • To: Wei Chen <Wei.Chen@xxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 10:18:43 +0000
  • Cc: Kaly Xin <Kaly.Xin@xxxxxxx>, Martin Lucina <martin@xxxxxxxxxx>, "mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 10:18:49 +0000
On 19 Jan 2017, at 09:51, Wei Chen <Wei.Chen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are engineers from ARM. We're trying to port solo5 and ukvm to ARM.
> Currently, we are in the very first stage, the first plan could be
> porting solo5 and ukvm to KVM/Linux platform with ARM64 architecture.
> We'd like to discuss with you here to push this project to be multiple
> architectures/platforms support.

Dear Wei,

Welcome aboard! I'm excited to hear that you are working on ARM
support. I have several things in preparation that should help upstreaming
your work to Mirage:

- we have aarch64-ci.ocaml.io hosted on Packet.net, and are debugging
  Docker support for it at the moment. That will give us a 96-core ARM64
  build machine for the CI, to test packages on once you have ukvm patches.

- I also have some Odroid C2 aarch64 boxes that have been proposed
  for use for home routing infrastructure, and so this would be a nice place
  to test some of the patches. If anyone going to Marrakech on the March
  hackathon wants some to get working, let me know!

- OCaml itself has excellent aarch64 support since 4.03, and has passed
  several bulk builds on the Fedora repository. It can be considered stable
  and so means that the rest of MirageOS's library ecosystem will "just work"
  once the ukvm and Solo5 pieces are in place.

If you have any questions about the tooling or other parts of Mirage, please
don't hesitate to ask on this list.

regards,
Anil