Re: [MirageOS-devel] Many-core ARMv8, Mirage & Networking

Hi Guillaume,

I’m also curious to see if the Mirage unikernels can run on smaller trusted computing base (TCB) than Linux+KVM or Xen. I’ve been following the L4 done by an Australian research group for quite some time. Over the last few years it has branched along two different paths (commercial, VMM layer: https://cog.systems/okl4-microvisor/) & (academic, provably correct: https://sel4.systems/). Both have good ARM support, but my understanding* is that the okL4 has multi-core support (which would be needed for making the most of the modern ARMv8 chips) is more advanced.

I’m not a hands on in this area at all, its been more an unsatisfied aesthetic curiosity to think about reducing down to the smallest possible TCB. If you were to explore in this area I think that the art would be not getting bogged down in all the extraneous details. It seems as though the seL4 team has adopted the Android tools to avoid having to maintain this piece themselves (clever): https://wiki.sel4.systems/Hardware/General-ARM

I remember reading the Barrelfish papers quite a while ago, using that as a base would also be interesting. You should talk to Mato, djwillia, Hannes & Richardo (i.e. the experts) about which layer to attack the problem at. I don’t know if you’d start at Solo5 or ocaml-freestanding.

Jitsu [1][2]
Flick [3]

Cheers,
Chris

* This is not a deep understanding, you should reach out to the seL4 group if you wanted fully correct details :)