Re: [MirageOS-devel] MirageOS on more than 1 vCPU?

  • To: "Nadathur, Sundar" <sundar.nadathur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 18:13:53 +0000
  • Cc: "MirageOS-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <MirageOS-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 18:13:58 +0000
On 23 Mar 2017, at 18:12, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2017, at 18:05, Nadathur, Sundar <sundar.nadathur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>   Is it correct to say that MirageOS executes as a single process on a
>> single vCPU only? IOW, a MirageOS unikernel cannot run on multiple vCPUs,
>> correct?
>
> That's correct; there is no multicore support in the existing stable OCaml,
> and although it is possible to run multiple independent runtimes in a single
> unikernel, we have not implemented this.
>

>> If so, are there any plans to add that feature?
>
> Multicore OCaml is being actively developed by the OCaml Labs group in
> Cambridge. Check out recent activity here:
> http://ocamllabs.io/doc/multicore.html
>
> There should be a workable system this year sometime, and I imagine MirageOS
> support will follow that...

And I forgot to mention -- the most notable aspect of multicore OCaml is its
memory model, which is emerging as something that both has understandable
semantics and maps efficiently to all widely deployed processors such as Intel
and ARM.

https://github.com/ocamllabs/ocaml-multicore/wiki/Memory-model

regards,
Anil