Re: [MirageOS-devel] supported OCaml versions

  • To: Rudi Grinberg <rudi.grinberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 11:21:55 +0000
  • Cc: mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 11:22:18 +0000
On 17 Nov 2017, at 17:54, Rudi Grinberg <rudi.grinberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hannes Mehnert <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> - Mirage supports 4.04.2 upwards (this is true for the mirage tool
>> itself as well as libraries only used with mirage, other libraries used
>> elsewhere as well (such as ipaddr, uri, cstruct, tls, etc.) may want to
>> support more OCaml versions
>
> One thing that I'd like to advertise to maintainers of such libraries
> and users of jbuilder is the workspace construct in jbuilder. It's a
> very effective way to test a library against multiple versions of OCaml
> at once. This is far easier than relying on the very slow travis
> feedback loop. To make use of it all you need to do is a workspace file
> like:

I have a Travis version of this jbuilder-workspace method here:

https://github.com/avsm/ocaml-yaml/blob/master/.docker.sh

It can be run locally or on Travis with the same script, and uses the
experimental new ocaml/opam2:DISTRO-ocaml containers that
contain multiple ocaml compilers precompiled.  We just need to
generate the jbuilder workspace file and install deps in each switch,
which opam2 makes quite easy.

I'll clean these up as opam2 settles down...

Anil