Re: [MirageOS-devel] supported OCaml versions

  • To: Hannes Mehnert <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 17:08:12 +0000
  • Cc: mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 17:08:22 +0000
On 23 Nov 2017, at 15:42, Hannes Mehnert <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23/11/2017 12:00, Martin Lucina wrote:
>> IMO should definitely test 4.05.0, given the number of changes required for
>> 4.06.0, its relative newness, and current lack of support in mirage-xen.
>
> Ok, fair enough.  We can test 4.04.2, 4.05 and 4.06.  Once 4.07 is
> released, should we then remove 4.04 -- i.e. try to have the three most
> recent OCaml major releases supported?

Yes please don't skip OCaml versions :)  We *may* need to support 4.04.2
for slightly longer than usual since 4.06 is a major breaking release.  I'd
keep the "last three major releases" as a guideline rather than a fast rule.

>> 4. Ideally Datakit CI should also no longer test on the old compiler
>> versions to prevent spurious failures, presumably the right thing will
>> happen there due to the availability constraints automatically?
>>
>> My justification for point 2. is that if we're no longer testing on those
>> compilers then you should not be able to install the package on them
>> either.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I think this is a great plan, and haven't heard from anyone who needs
> interoperation with older OCaml compilers.

I concur. Don't hold back the project for the sake of compatibility.
As the deployed user-base increases, they will signal for when long-term
support is necessary.

(On that note, if you are a user of a particular library in the OCaml
ecosystem that you think has dropped support for an older version
of OCaml too soon, please let us know :-)

regards
Anil