Re: [MirageOS-devel] Solo5 renaming and OPAM package names

On Friday, 24.08.2018 at 19:05, Hannes Mehnert wrote:
> sounds about right!

Your reply did not go to the list, adding it back in Cc:.

> On 24/08/2018 16:57, Martin Lucina wrote:
> > Therefore, the new dependencies would look like this:
> >
> > mirage-solo5: Depends on solo5-bindings-vt | solo5-bindings-virtio |
> > solo5-bindings-muen
> > mirage-solo5: Depends on ocaml-freestanding
> >
> > ocaml-freestanding: Depends on solo5-bindings-vt | solo5-bindings-virtio |
> > solo5-bindings-muen
> >
> > In order to ensure a clean upgrade path for "opam upgrade", an 0.4.0
> > release of both mirage-solo5 and ocaml-freestanding will need to be cut.
> >
> > Apart from that, do I need to add any other metadata to the new or old
> > packages? e.g. Should the new names conflict with the old ones, or vice
> > versa?
>
> since the new packages use a different directory than earlier ones,
> there's no need for conflicts between them.
>
> in the mirage utility itself, there are various references to
> solo5-kernel-* which need adjustment

Yes, I'll do those.

However, I'm not sure that just making ocaml-freestanding and mirage-solo5
depend on the new solo5-bindings-* packages instead of solo5-kernel-* is
sufficient. Having just experimented with some pins, this can result in a
situation where (e.g. if downgrading via a pin) ocaml-freestanding and
mirage-solo5 get out of sync.

I'm not sure what the best way to prevent that happening is. Making
mirage-solo5 (the new 0.4.0+) conflict with solo5-kernel-* and mirage-solo5
(all currently published versions) conflict with solo5-bindings-* seems
like a rather roundabout way to accomplish this?

> > Regarding user-visible changes to the mirage front-end tool itself, I would
> > like to rename the "ukvm" target to "vt", while keeping "ukvm" (with a
> > warning) as a backward-compatible alias for "vt".
>
> that sounds reasonable to me.

Unclear if the "backward compatible alias" can be done in Functoria w/o
keeping both Ukvm and Vt as allowed values for the "mode" key and thus
listed *everywhere* in the match clauses throughout mirage.ml. Any ideas on
how to accomplish this?

-mato