Re: [Publicity] Blog Czar update, week of July 22

On mer, 2013-07-31 at 10:59 +0200, Roger Pau Monnà wrote:
> On 30/07/13 23:27, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> > I saw that, and I'm not asking to neither move it nor to repeat it here.
> > The point is you're saying indirect descriptors "it allows us to scale
> > the maximum amount of data a request can contain, and modern storage
> > devices tend to like big requests", but, AFAICT, also the two previous
> > proposal achieved something similar (or at least were meant at that),
> > isn't it? So, I was thinking whether it was worth mentioning quickly why
> > indirect descriptors was the best among all three in improving the
> > request size/throughput.
>
> I've tried to expand a little bit the paragraph providing more detailed
> information about each of the previous proposals, and a final note on
> why indirect descriptors should be better. Basically they allow for more
> outstanding IO if pushed to the limit.

Ok, I just saw it and it looks fine. Thanks.

> I think the blog post already contains a lot of very technical
> information, adding more detailed stuff about memory utilization is just
> going to make it even harder to read for people not involved in kernel
> programming.

That is a fair point, let's leave it as it is.

> > I was about to suggest to publish this tomorrow or on Thursday, but then
> > saw Lars' e-mail... Let's talk about this tomorrow...
>
> I don't have any problem in postponing the publication, but I start my
> holidays on Friday so I'm not sure if I will be able to answer many
> comments (in case they arise) if it's published next week.

The only other comment I've seen so far is Anil's one, about telling in
the post how one determines if it has a recent enough host and guest
kernel (what do you think about it?)

If we decide to postpone, I'll mention it in the status update that
people have only up to tomorrow to comment on your draft. Actually,
given the fact it is there since Monday evening, I really think it's a
fair enough amount of time.

Given your availability, if Lars' and Anil's post is ready today or
tomorrow, I'm inclined to actually have it for this week, and send this
one of yours to something like next Tuesday.

Thanks and Regards,
Dario