Re: [Publicity] Xen 4.4 features for press release

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 13:15 +0000, George Dunlap wrote:
> > * 64-bit Xen on ARM now supports booting guests

I would reword it as:
* 64-bit guests creation supported on arm64

> Furthermore I think we are going to be saying that ARM is not tech
> preview any longer and committing to the ABI.

Right. Maybe:

* arm and arm64 Xen ABIs declared stable and maintained for backward
  compatibility

> There have been a tonne of other changes to Xen on ARM since 4.3 but
> perhaps they are mainly under the hood, Stefano any thoughts?

At the very least we should mention:

* significant stability improvements across the board
* ARM/multiboot booting protocol design and implementation in Xen and
  U-boot
* PSCI support in Xen

> Some things which spring to mind:
>       * We now generate guest device trees automatically, instead of
>         requiring the user to supply one.
>       * Our host DTB handling is much improved. It is not generally
>         necessary to have the DTB for Xen any more

On this topic, we should have a blog post on stable ABI (and block ABI
breakage) as soon as Konrad sends the pull request on block ABI change
in Linux.

>       * It is vastly simpler to add a new platform in 4.4.

* Newly supported platforms:
 - Calxeda Midway
 - Applied Micro X-Gene Storm
 - TI OMAP5
 - Allwinner A20

* Safe DMA in Dom0 even with no hardware IOMMUs
* Physical partitions and LVM volumes can now be used to store guest
  disk images with xen-blkback