Re: [Publicity] Docker Open Source Container Virtualization on the Rise

On 12 Feb 2014, at 08:44, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-02-11 at 19:42 +0000, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> Perhaps the simplest thing is to look for a list of recent CVE
>> vulnerabilities and highlight which ones would be blocked by Xen, KVM
>> and containers.
>
> One thing worth remembering is that while Xen has a well defined
> security response process[0] and is proactive and transparent about
> issuing advisories (and CVEs) for anything which we become aware of,
> even relatively minor issues, while I don't believe the same can be said
> of Linux and by extension containers.
>
> AFAIK security fixes to Linux are made, deliberately and explicitly, in
> a very low key way and appear as any other bugfix. They are not
> highlighted as security relevant and mention of a CVE or security aspect
> is routinely stripped from the commit log comments. CVEs are issued
> after the fact, if at all, when someone who is watching the commit
> stream spots it, realises the security impact, and requests it for
> themselves/their distro/etc or when the original author does so
> independently.
>
> So the risk is that Xen CVEs will be over represented in the set of
> CVEs. On the other hand maybe the sheer volume of CVEs means that even
> if they are under reported there are loads of them anyway...

I think that's an excellent point.  The flipside is to look at exploit
sets instead, which are basically independent of security processes.

A quick look at Metasploit shows this collection:
https://github.com/rapid7/metasploit-framework/tree/master/modules

...which sadly (?) doesn't include Xen or KVM, or any other hypervisors,
but I'm sure there must be a similar set elsewhere.

-anil