Re: [Publicity] Docker Open Source Container Virtualization on the Rise

On 12/02/2014 00:29, Glauber Costa wrote:

Hi

Glauber,

sorry your mail was stuck in the moderator queue for a week.  I was travelling and forgot my little notebook of passwords.

So that talk I gave was not really an HV vs containers, it was more a containers overview when I was working in the containers side.
When I joined Cloudius, I have published the following text:
https://plus.google.com/107787008629542080430/posts/fgzsepcScTa

My main message was that an OS like OSv changes the game, because it bridges the duplication gap without giving up the rest. When I
published, it reached a small audience because we had very little followers. If you have a broader channel, it would be good to broadcast
or link to it.
@Sarah, can you outline what you were planning to do and roughly when? Also, you mentioned you needed a spokesperson. As I will be out hiking in the Australian outback for a few weeks and I don't have the technical depth, it may make sense for someone else to step up.

I am also wondering whether it makes sense to coordinate a response to containers with (or at least coordinated) with the OVA. I don't know who handles press and PR matters at the OVA though. Just a thought.

Other aspects for consideration: It depends really which audience we want to reach.
-For more sophisticated audiences, it is worthwhile to point out (although obvious) that using containers will restrict your ability to be in control of your kernel (even talking cross-OS), and once you start using it, it's harder to maintain an heterogeneous environment. This makes it a no-go for whoever is selling IaaS.

- The performance thing with containers is *not* true. They use cgroups, which are expensive. As much as I have succeeded to make that cost go down, it is still expensive. We are doing benchmarks against Linux as a guest, maybe we should start looking at doing benchmarks against a container environment?
That is a good point.

- I am following the follow up of my work closely (kmemcg shrinking), and this is not yet complete in Linux. What it means is that it is still impossible to properly control kernel memory used by each container. It is still trivial for a malicious containers to destroy everything. There are many other holes to gap, and while they are there containers are particularly insecure.

The advantage of containers that we do need to be aware of, is that it allows for greater flexibility of resource sharing. For instance, you can leave all processes to use the disk cpu freely, while they are restricted for memory only. This can be handy in some cases, but it is probably not that broadly relevant.

Tzach

 -George