[Publicity] Fwd: Session proposal accepted for OSCON 2014

Just an FYI that our OSCon proposal on Nymote (pasted below) got accepted into
OSCon.  We're aiming to demonstrate the MirageOS networking stack running on a
Cubieboard2/Cubietruck and Xen/ARM at the session, so this should help
publicise the ARM port more widely.

Abstract follows:
The Mirage OS is an open-source library operating system that compiles code
written in the OCaml functional language into a variety of hardware backends,
most notably specialized unikernels that run directly on the Xen hypervisor.
Mirage is particularly useful for building safe, reliable OS components such as
storage or networked daemons.

Since the release of Mirage 1.0 in December 2013, we’ve been using it to
self-host our personal Internet presences. Instead of having to manage complex
deployments such as a LAMP stack (with the associated security headaches),
Mirage offers the opportunity to “compile your own cloud” from a set of
protocol libraries. This is an educational experience that you miss out on if
using a hosted PaaS, and you also gain the freedom of running your own
infrastructure and federating via open protocols such as XMPP.

In this talk, I’ll walk you through how my own homepage infrastructure works,
and how to replicate it yourself to regain control of your Internet presence.
The DNS and HTTP servers run as separate unikernels on the cloud, and are
coordinated via the Irminsule storage stack (which uses Git as its
communications protocol). The deployment simply uses the Travis continuous
integration tool to commit the entire kernel to Git (e.g.
https://github.com/mirage/mirage-www-deployment), so you can get started very
quickly using Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD or MacOS X (we’ll provide a Vagrant
virtual machine if you’re running Windows).

-anil

Begin forwarded message: