Re: [Publicity] Draft blog on release management principles

  • To: publicity@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 10:25:39 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 09:25:44 +0000

George,

a great post. Some comments

Generally, adding subheadings will help. They are already in the title: Risk, intuition, and freeze exceptions
You may also want to link to my recent blog post

> "I have three goals when doing release management.  In order:"
The "in order" as a separate sentence seems somewhat odd and interrupts the flow. Also I would emphasize (<em></em>) bug free, awesome, on-time throughout the document

> Paragraph "One of the most time-consuming aspects ..."
This paragraph is slightly convoluted. I would try and break up some of the sentences. Also, I would emphasize the goals as said above, e.g. <em>more awesome</em> and leave out the #2

> "Making decisions about accepting or rejecting patches as release coordinator is about making calculated risks:
making
calculated risks=taking calculated risks=calculating risk
I think you used this phrase throughout the document

> look at the benefits, look at the potential costs, look at the probabilities, and try to make the best balance you can out of them.
"
I would bulletize this list

> "risks won't pay off"
taking? "risks won't pay off"

> "You may approve a patch to go in, and it will then turn out to have a bug in it which delays the release."
I think that is a bad example for "taking a risk not paying off". A better example would be if taking in a patch wont have the desired effect (e.g. another piece for feature foo was still missing and didn't make it). In this example, the risk merely materialized. You may want to look at this paragraph again

> Now, research has shown that the intuition of experts can
It would be good to link to that research

> One of the key ways
"key was" soudns stylistically odd

Just a general thought: On the risk side of patches dow e make use of coverity scan to check whether anything has become worse?

You should link to the books. As an aside, the title covers "freeze exceptions" but only skims over the subject it indirectly

Regards
Lars

On 02/06/2014 18:08, George Dunlap wrote:
Hey all,

As part of the hand-off of the release coordinator role, I started writing down some of the principles I was using; and I thought that parts of it might make a good blog post.

I've got a draft up here:

http://blog.xen.org/?p=9355&preview=true

Let me know if you have any feedback.  It's not particularly time-sensitive, so you might just drop it in some week where other things are kind of slow in the next couple of months.

 -George