Re: [Publicity] Blog-post RFC: Hardening Xen against VENOM-style attacks

Hi folks,

although a lot of interesting suggestions were raised, I think it is more
helpful to propose concrete text changes or additions, rather than suggestions
which require that the author does additional research.

> Also, is it worth mentioning why the qemu stub domain isn't the default?  Is
> it all compiled and installed in most of the hypervisor distributions on
> Ubuntu/CentOS/etc?  I don't think even XenServer uses qemu stub domains,
> although that might have changed in the recent release.

Is there a conclusion or a concrete paragraph on this one that you can suggest?
I did check Ubuntu and a few other distros and they all have stub domains.
XenServer may not have. But the domain may of course not be built, even though
the
I suppose any outcome/mention should deb in the "One would think this is a
complex...."

@Tamas:

I would propose to position this as a guest blog post: we normally do this for
someones 1st blog post on xenproject.org. Normally what we do in such cases is
to add a pre-amble. An example is: "This is a guest blog post by Georg DÃrn, a
long-time system administrator and open source enthusiast. Georg founded his
company its-doern in 2008, to develop solutions for customers entirely from
open source software."

If you could add a brief description that would be great.

> The recent disclosure of the VENOM bug affecting major open-source
> hypervisors, such as KVM and Xen, has been circulating in the tech news
> lately, causing
how about replacing lately with a date
> many to reevaluate their security posture when using cloud infrastructures.
> That is a very good thing indeed. Virtualization and the cloud has been for
> too long
I am not sure what you mean by security posture: maybe a more common phrase
would be better or an example.

I also think that some of the more recent Venom articles are partly also
calling out the Venom coverage a clever marketing campaign by CrowdStrike to
raise their profile and it is also now clear that far fewer vendors than
originally anticipated are affected by Venom
*
http://www.csoonline.com/article/2922066/vulnerabilities/venom-hype-and-pre-planned-marketing-campaign-panned-by-experts.html
*
http://gizmodo.com/please-stop-comparing-every-security-flaw-to-heartbleed-1704259495
*
http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/05/13/venom-vulnerability-could-hit-amazon-oracle-rackspace-citrix/
*
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/13/heartbleed_eat_your_heart_out_venom_vuln_poisons_countless_vms/
* http://www.zdnet.com/article/venom-the-anti-toxin-is-here/

> erroneously considered to be a silver bullet against intrusions, malware and
> APTs.
What is an APT?

> The cloud is anything but a safe place.
I am not sure we want to single out the cloud. Maybe, expand the list a bit,
e.g. the "internet and cloud". After all we are no worse than other software
stacks. Maybe we have a better track record than most.

> VENOM in that sense is just another one in the long list of vulnerabilities
> that seem to be plaguing hypervisors.
Again, maybe not single out hypervisors

> However, there are differences between vulnerabilities. While VENOM is indeed
> a serious bug and can result in a VM escape, which can compromise all VMs on
> the host, it doesnât have to be. In fact, VENOM-style attacks have been known
> for a long time. And there are easy-to-deploy co
> unter-measures to mitigate the risk of such exploits, natively available in
> Xen and KVM.
Are there ways to mitigate this for KVM? When I read this I was expecting to
read about KVM also. So maybe drop KVM here, as it feels like a loose ends.
Actually re-reading this again, you do mention KVM sVirt SELinux policies: it's
easy to miss because that paragraph is embedded into a longer section about
stub domains. Maybe add something immediately afterwards along the lines of
"Xen provides subdomains to sandbox VENOM style exploits in a de-priviledged
domaon and KVM allows for similar jailing of the QEMU process via the native
SELinux sVirt policies."

> While modern systems come ...
> Devices such as your network card, graphics card and your hard drive. While
> Linux comes with paravirtual (virtualization-aware) drivers to create such
> devices, > > emulation is often the only solution to run operating systems
> that do not have such kernel drivers. This has been traditionally the case
> with Windows. This
> emulation layer has been implemented in QEMU, which has caused VENOM and a
> handful of other VM-escape bugs in recent years
Maybe list some examples re QEMU related VM-escaped bugs
I think it is worth pointing pout that people use PVHVM (HVM) for performance
reasons also. One gets the impression from this paragraph that the only reason

> Back in 2011, the Blackhat talk on Virtunoid demonstrated such a VM escape
> attack against KVM, through QEMU.
Link?

> As a sidenote, KVM allows for similar jailing of the QEMU process via the
> native SELinux sVirt policies.
See above

Maybe link to http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Device_Model_Stub_Domains

> Unfortunately, your cloud provider may not allow you to enable this option.
You should probably also call out distros

Regards
Lars