Re: [Publicity] rump kernel and Rumprun unikernel proposed post

(Thanks Russ for sorting out my login)

Great post! Some quick thoughts from vacation:

- In the "the goal of rump was not unikernels", it might be worth pointing out
that Rump provides a long term baseline for other unikernel projects that have
been focussing on the high level structure.  For example, Martin's work on
Mirage+rump now lets us slowly deprecate the old MiniOS runtime in favour of
Rump, and get KVM and baremetal support in addition to Xen, and focus on the
"new horizons" rather than low level device driver hackery.

- Link to the third-party applications Rump github repo?

- A TL;DR with some hrefs into the rump kernel book on some of the terminology
would be useful for the more casual reader.  You mention in one blog post --
rump kernel, unikernel and anykernel -- quite a lot to take in one post :) Your
FOSDEM 2013 interview on the topic is good:
https://archive.fosdem.org/2013/interviews/2013-antii-kantee/ or your New
Directions in Operating Systems 2014 talk.

- if you have time, linking to the xen-devel mailing list posts from the
archives would be really useful.  There were some great threads there that you
reference.

- nowhere does the article mention what sort of existing applications rump
kernels are bad at -- worth mentioning that fork-heavy applications don't do so
well?  Might be out of scope.

- As a random aside, 2007 seems to have been the year that lots of projects
started.  I remember sitting in a room in Cambridge with Andrew Tolmach and
Adam Wick in Jan 2007 and using MiniOS to create the first Mirage and HalVM
kernels with networking (just ethernet) as well.  Trying to dig out an online
reference to that meeting -- ISTR we had a photo of the whiteboard somewhere!

-a