[Publicity] [blog post draft] Security vs features

We've just released a rather exciting batch of Xen security
advisories.  There's <a
href="https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-secpack/blob/master/QSBs/qsb-022-2015.txt";>grumbling</a>
in some quarters that we're not taking security seriously.

I have a longstanding interest in computer security.  Nowadays I am a
member of the Xen Project Security Team (the team behind
security@xenproject, which drafts the advisories and coordinates the
response).  But this is going to be a personal opinion.

Of course Invisible Things are completely right that security isn't
taken seriously enough.  The general state of computer security in
almost all systems is terrible.  The reason for this is quite simple:
we all put up with it.  We, collectively, choose convenience and
functionality: both when we decide which software to run for
ourselves, and when we decide what contributions to make to the
projects we care about.

That's not to say that the many of us involved with the Xen Project
aren't working to improve matters.

The first part of improving anything is to know what the real
situation is.  Unlike almost every other hypervisor, Xen
advisory, every vulnerability discovered in supported configurations.

Security bugs are bugs, and over the last few years Xen's code review
process has become a lot more rigorous.  As a result, the quality of
code being newly introduced into Xen has improved a lot.

For researchers developing new analysis techniques, Xen is a prime
target.  A significant proportion of the reports to
security@xenproject are the result of applying new scanning techniques
to our codebase.  So our existing code is being audited, with a
focus on the areas and techniques likely to discover the most
troublesome bugs.

The difference in approach to disclosure makes it difficult to compare the
security bug density of competing projects.  When I worked for a
security hardware vendor I was constantly under pressure to explain
why we needed to do a formal advisory for our bugs.  That is what
security-conscious users expect, but our competitors' salesfolk would
point to our advisories and say that our products were full of bugs.
Their product had no publicly disclosed security bugs, so they would
tell naive customers that their product had no bugs.

I do think Xen probably has
critical security bugs</a>
than other hypervisors.  It's the best available platform for building
high security systems.  But that doesn't mean Xen is good enough.

Ultimately, of course, a Free Software project like Xen is what the
whole community makes it.  In the project as a whole we get a lot more
submissions of new functionality than we get submissions aimed at
improving the security.

So personally I very much welcome the contributions made by
security-focused contributors - even if that includes criticism.