Re: [Publicity] [For review] Please Welcome new Members of the Xen Project Hypervisor Leadership Team

> On 22 Apr 2016, at 19:48, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> See https://blog.xenproject.org/?p=11310&preview=true
> I would like to publish on Monday
>
> Those on the CC list: I made up some short bios for each of you, based on
> what I know. Feel free to suggest corrections/additions.
>
> @Zibby: could you go through this with a view towards media impact (e.g. a
> possibly negative register story). We are intentionally not stating company
> affiliation.
>
> Lars

I added the text (unformatted) for convenience
Lars

---

A couple of months ago two of our committers, Keir Fraser and Tim Deegan, have
formally stepped down in their roles as committers from the Hypervisor team,
while others have changed their focus or level of involvement in the project.
Unfortunately, the project has found it difficult to promote contributors to
maintainer andcommitter roles, which constitute the leadership of the Xen
Project Hypervisor Team. This was true, despite an actively growing community
(see diagram on the right).

After some soul searching, we realised that the primary reason for this issue
was not that we didn’t have future leaders within the community. The issue was
simply that we didn’t have an organised approach to succession planning: active
developers simply worked on the project and did not consider to nominate
newcomers (or themselves) for leadership roles within the project. To fix this,
we introduced a new convention, by which we actively remind community members
to nominate or self-nominate themselves for leadership roles.

This approach has worked very well, and I am pleased to announce the following
new members to the Xen Project Hypervisor Leadership Team. However, before
doing so, I wanted to thank Keir and Tim for their vast contributions to the
project.

Committers

The following people have been elected to be new Committers to the project,
alongside Ian Campbell, Ian Jackson, Jan Beulich and Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk:

Andrew Cooper has been working on the Hypervisor since 2011 and has added a
number of major new features such as Migration v2, significant change to trap
handling, improvements to cpuid handling for guests and many more.

George Dunlap has been working on the Hypervisor since 2008 and was heavily
involved in making the tracing system useable for
performance analysis, optimising the shadow code, wrote the credit2 scheduler
and developed many other significant features and improvements in the
hypervisor. In addition, he was our first Release Manager and is leading the
CentOS Virtualisation SIG within CentOS.

Stefano Stabellini has been working on the Hypervisor and the Linux Kernel
since 2008 and was instrumental in bringing ARM support to the Xen Hypervisor.
He has also been leading many other activities within the project, such as
OpenStack integration and Raisin.

Wei Liu started to work on the Xen Project as a GSoC student in 2011 (working
in virtio support). He has been working on libxl support, event channel
scalability, MiniOS and many other major Xen features. In addition he has been
the Xen Project Release Manager since Xen Project 4.6 release.

Andrew and Wei celebrated their appointment at one of the Xen Project social
events earlier this week, by submitting and ACKing a piece of code while on a
punt on the river Cam in Cambridge, UK.

Security Team

In addition, Andrew Cooper and George Dunlap are now also members of the Xen
Project Security Team, alongside Ian Jackson, Jan Beulich and Tim Deegan.

Maintainers

The following people were also recently added as MAINTAINERS of the project:
Doug Goldstein(KConfig, Travis CI), Julien Grall (ARM support, device tree, …),
Meng Xu (RTDS Scheduler) andPaul Durrant (x86 I/O emulation, x86 viridian
enlightenments, …). In addition, we clarified some ambiguities around the
maintainer role.

Linux Kernel Maintainers

Jürgen Gross who has been a Linux kernel and Xen developer since 2004, but has
significantly increased his engagement within the community in the last two
years, and is now Linux Kernel maintainer for the Xen Hypervisor Interface
alongside Boris Ostrovsky and David Vrabel. Other maintainers of Xen specific
components in the Linux Kernel are: Stefano Stabellini, Wei Lui, and Konrad
Rzeszutek Wilk.