[Wg-openstack] Minutes of May 4th Working Group Meeting

For those, who did not attend, can you please search for RESOLUTION and
vote in favour or against, using
 +2 : I am happy with this proposal, and I will argue for it
 +1 : I am happy with this proposal, but will not argue for it
  0 : I have no opinion
 -1 : I am not happy with this proposal, but will not argue against it
 -2 : I am not happy with this proposal, and I will argue against it

If there are no negative votes by next Tuesday, I will considered the
RESOLUTION approved

== Attendees ==
Michael Glasgow
Anthony Perard
Lars Kurth
Alexey Petrenko
Joao Martins
Vacation: Bob Ball

== Actions from last meeting ==
== 1 year review of WG / CI loop running ==
ACTION: Action on Bob to get back to the list and Lars
* Bob couldn't make the Hackathon

ACTION: Lars to chase up Ian Jackson (should we try and get this done
before the release => may throw up some issues)
* Still to do, but can access the CI loop via (104.130.29.226 and
http://104.130.29.226:8080)

=== Xen Project CI/Xen Project Openstack Leadership ===
ACTION: Bob happy to do a little bit of thinking and get back to the group
* Lars will kick off a thread on this list

== CI Loop Leadership ==
Discussed follow up of
http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/wg-openstack/2016-04/msg00004.htm

=== Context ===
The summary
- We have a number of test failures, for which we have patches, which we
  have not managed to get into OpenStack
- Members of this group are not well connected enough into the OpenStack
  community and workflow
- There is no clear contact point from within the OpenStack community to
  this group (ideally we would establish a person who works for a vendor
  that cares about the Xen + Libvirt + OpenStack combo as interface from
  OpenStack to this group)
- We have no people with OpenStack expertise who are active in OpenStack
  in this group: consequently although we deal with the Xen + Libvirt +
  CI loop issues, we do not deal with the OpenStack side and from the
  OpenStack communities' perspective it looks as if what we do is stale
- The consequence is that the OpenStack community is starting to ignore
  the Xen Project CI

I think, in summary we are missing a bi-directional link from this group,
to the OpenStack community.

Below is an example of the pressure from the OpenStack community that we
are facing:

Snippet from a recent IRC discussion
15:36 < mriedem> BobBall: the xenlight failure is pretty bad in the
xenproject ci
15:38 < BobBall> mriedem: I believe there's a fix pending for that (it's
around networking) - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/199093/ (although
clearly Anthony has work to do to get it working)
15:39 < mriedem> BobBall: hasn't been updated in 3 months
15:39 < mriedem> BobBall: honestly i kind of feel like we should silence
the xen project ci until that's fixed
15:39 < mriedem> BobBall: and it's gotten to the point that i hardly pay
attention to that ci anymore

In other words we need to focus on fixing the known OpenStack issues, and
monitoring the CI to ensure an increasing pass rate, before the CI is
disabled.

=== Discussion ===

Michael: Oracle does have an interest in seeing the CI loop suuceed

Aleksey: Very interested in Xen + LibVirt
Aleksey: We are setting up our own CI Loop
Aleksey: Looks like a natural fit for us to help out

Agreement: **Aleksey is willing to explore that, but needs to understand
the issues more **

Michael: How do we get from where we are to filling the gaps we have

Lars: We need to a list the gaps and then have a dis
Lars: Does Oracle have active developers within the OpenStack community
Michael: We do have two, but not in the Nova community

Michael: It appears that the CI loop maintenance Issue is more achievable
in the short term
Lars: Agrees
Lars: Note that basic security maintenance can also be done be Credativ,
which the project pays for
Lars: They cannot do middleware stuff though and will need guidance
Michael: Can we set some sort of hand-over up for that?
Lars: Sure
Lars: For longer term ownership, we should start speccing out what's
involved an where we have gaps

Aleksey: can I have access to the CI loop in terms of logging into the
VM's such that we can investigate
Lars: I don't see an issue. But have to run a vote past the WG mailing list

RESOLUTION: Allow Aleksey access to the CI loop VM's
Nobody on the call objected (see mail intro for others)

Lars to Anthony: What do we need in practice

Anthony: just need a public key
Anthony: Password for jenkins is also needed
Lars to Alexey: Do you have PGP encrypted e-mail (for Jenkins access)?

ACTION: Aleksey to send public key to Lars and Anthony
ACTION: Lars to add Aleksey WG mailing list (done)
ACTION: Anthony to give Aleksey access to VM after Tuesday (assuming there
are no objections, which I do not think will be the case)

@Aleksey: We can deal with the password for Jenkins in some other way. Can
you send me a private mail on Tuesday?
@Aleksey: There is also a set of instructions re the set-up and
architecture on a GitHub page/repo. Everything is at
https://github.com/citrix-openstack/os-ext-testing/

https://github.com/citrix-openstack/os-ext-testing/blob/master/README.md

ACTION: Joao mentioned that I should track an action for him to follow up
with Mark

Lars to Aleksey: You may want to join the #xendevel IRC channel on
Freenode if you need to get in touch with Lars/Anthony quickly

=== Next Steps (for Longer Term) ===

ACTION: Lars to poke Bob re meeting (if needed)
ACTION: Lars to kick off an e-mail thread to spec out gaps (after talking
to Bob)

ACTION: Lars to also follow up with Suse (was told to contact Dirk Müller)

ACTION: Lars to poke Intel

Note for Lars: should probably also add Aleksey to
openstack-ci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx later

ACTION: Joao also said he wanted to follow up with Mark