[Wg-test-framework] Working out options for hosting a Xen Project System Test Environment

Dear Test WG members, (+ Ian Jackson who looks after OSSTest now)

In order to budget for an independently hosted Test Framework for the Xen
Project for 2014 (on the assumption that this is the right thing to do and that
we can work out the details in Q1 and Q2), I approached the Linux Foundation to
see whether the Linux Foundation could host an environment such as OSSTest or
XenRT. We used the existing OSSTest set-up what we have now as a baseline and
assumed we would need to grow to about twice the capacity we have now.

Unfortunately, the Linux Foundation does not have the capability to support
such an environment with the IT services they provide to projects (see Mike
Woster's mail below). The key challenge they face is to support a heterogeneous
environment.

I discussed with the Citrix team, to see what other options we have. Citrix
does not have the capability to host such a service outside its firewall.
However we do have a number of options, which I wanted to get your input on
Thursday.  The basic structure of the proposal for costing would be to
a) Use a COLO outside of Citrix to host machines and do the basic set-up and
wiring and fund through the Xen Project (if one of the AB members could provide
this for the project that would be another option, which may save the project
funds)
b) Procure the necessary Hardware using Xen Project funds
c) Investigate how sys-admin and ownership would be handled in principle : the
challenge we are facing is that this is a part-time job and that we cannot use
a LF resource. This could imply that said resource may have to be employed
through an AB vendor (and funded through the project).

Chris Shepherd from Citrix, will do some investigation on costing (although it
is likely that I don't have data before the Thursday WG meeting). I propose
that we discuss what would be acceptable in principle to Working Group and
Advisory Board members and feed this back into the Advisory Board meeting on
Dec 17th.

Best Regards
Lars