Re: [Wg-test-framework] Test-as-a-service deployment costing

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 02:40:05PM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Konrad,
>
> I agree this can be done more cheaply: Chris did this costing on *very* short
> notice and used our usual suppliers (list prices) to turn this around in less
> than a day. So the costs are *very* conservative, which IMHO is reasonable
> for a budget. My thinking was that if we can get the Hardware cheaper, we can
> just get more boxes or we have more cash in the bank.
>
> On A+B
> > I am not sure what that is. Is this an upfront cost to setup the network,
> > switches, terminal servers, remote power on/off setups, DHCP, etc? I
> > presume so.
> The exact cost breakdown is in the budget spreadsheet. Here is the detail for
> those two items:
>
> A) Core infrastructure : A pool of servers and shared storage to run the
> various VMs you need to run the network, monitor infrastructure, pxe boot,
> dhcp, scheduling etc. Osstest would presumably need something similar.
>
> B) XenRT âsiteâ infrastructure : XenRT can be built up into multiple âsitesâ,
> each consisting of a number of servers (we have sites of 16, 32 and 64
> servers). Each site needs its own small pool of servers with shared storage
> and switches to run the site. For a small XenRT deployment (one site) we
> could probably share the core infrastructure for the site infrastructure,
> thereby removing (or at least postponing) this cost.
>
> On C
> >> An admin / developer to look after and extend the deployment, possibly
> >> part-time
> > Is this also considered the person who would triage issues with XenRT or
> > osstest?
> No. We only covered HW maintenance (1-2 days a month) and remote management
> (for a much larger deployment than what we are talking about this takes up
> 20% of a person).
>
> The key challenges are:
> * We can't employ anybody via the Linux Foundation (they already made clear
> that this is too complex and unusual for what they do today)
> * This leaves us with : vendors donating time (which in practice never works,
> unless a single vendor takes full responsibility).
> * Employing somebody on behalf of the project within a vendor : this may be
> politically, legally and logistically difficult and will need to be discussed
> by the board
> * And we don't need a full-time person, unless we include triaging, etc.

So the sticking point is actually finding a person who Xen AB could hire
to do this triage and also in some way help Ian Jackson (as he or she
could do both jobs - osstest and XenRTT).

And without that - the costs for hardware, setup, etc are kind of moot
as there would be nobody to shepard them.