Re: [Wg-test-framework] Test-as-a-service deployment costing

Konrad,

I agree this can be done more cheaply: Chris did this costing on *very* short
notice and used our usual suppliers (list prices) to turn this around in less
than a day. So the costs are *very* conservative, which IMHO is reasonable for
a budget. My thinking was that if we can get the Hardware cheaper, we can just
get more boxes or we have more cash in the bank.

On A+B
> I am not sure what that is. Is this an upfront cost to setup the network,
> switches, terminal servers, remote power on/off setups, DHCP, etc? I presume
> so.
The exact cost breakdown is in the budget spreadsheet. Here is the detail for
those two items:

A) Core infrastructure : A pool of servers and shared storage to run the
various VMs you need to run the network, monitor infrastructure, pxe boot,
dhcp, scheduling etc. Osstest would presumably need something similar.

B) XenRT âsiteâ infrastructure : XenRT can be built up into multiple âsitesâ,
each consisting of a number of servers (we have sites of 16, 32 and 64
servers). Each site needs its own small pool of servers with shared storage and
switches to run the site. For a small XenRT deployment (one site) we could
probably share the core infrastructure for the site infrastructure, thereby
removing (or at least postponing) this cost.

On C
>> An admin / developer to look after and extend the deployment, possibly
>> part-time
> Is this also considered the person who would triage issues with XenRT or
> osstest?
No. We only covered HW maintenance (1-2 days a month) and remote management
(for a much larger deployment than what we are talking about this takes up 20%
of a person).

The key challenges are:
* We can't employ anybody via the Linux Foundation (they already made clear
that this is too complex and unusual for what they do today)
* This leaves us with : vendors donating time (which in practice never works,
unless a single vendor takes full responsibility).
* Employing somebody on behalf of the project within a vendor : this may be
politically, legally and logistically difficult and will need to be discussed
by the board
* And we don't need a full-time person, unless we include triaging, etc.

So this, needs to be discussed at the Advisory Board meeting.
As an aside: I believe we would end up paying a lot more if we used the Linux
Foundation (I was told how much OpenDayLight pays, which is very high)

> Meaning they would look at the test results and figure out where the bugs are
> happening?
The question there is whether we can find somebody with the right skill set AND
whether we have enough funds. This should be discussed in the Advisory Board.

> These would be one-time costs right? And I presume they could also be
> eliminated if vendors (AMD, Intel, Oracle, ARM) provided the hardware?
Agreed.
Although if a vendor donated HW, there will logistical issues, etc. The other
option is to get discounts.

Regards
Lars