Re: [Wg-test-framework] [Minutes] March Test WG meeting

(Resending from my personal account because of mail problem with my
Citrix mail.  The original will probably turn up eventually.)

Don Slutz writes ("Re: [Wg-test-framework] [Minutes] March Test WG meeting"):
> Secure half cabinets with 15amp power and 10Mbps start at $500 a month. Full
> cabinets with 20amp power and 10Mbps start at $800 a month. Additional 20amp
> and 30amp feeds will add another $250-300 to your monthly bill.

I spoke to the people who host my personal colo machine.  They're a
small company.  I dealt with the owner, James Rice.  He's very
competent.

I've been told:

* Contract sysadmin work at UKL50+VAT/hr.

* If we can share racks with their other customers[1], we would be
  looking at their standard pricing[0].  They charge mostly by power,
  and I haven't done any measurements, but they helpfully provide some
  estimates.  We would be looking at L1-2K/yr per server.  For an
  initial rollout of 24 servers that's around L50K/yr.  Formally, the
  quote price is L0.95+VAT/VA/month.

* If we want a dedicated rack, we'd be looking at around L18,500 for
  the first quarter to cover install fees and the first quarter's
  footprint fee.

* We would probably also want to be paying Jump L25+VAT/month for one
  (1Tb) unit of their iSCSI service, for backup, or something
  comparable.

Thanks,
Ian.

[0] http://www.jump.net.uk/

[1] Having discussed it with James Rice we can probably share a rack -
  the main possible downside of that is that our inter-rack links
  would be vlans on shared but high-bandwidth inter-rack links.