Re: [Wg-test-framework] Machine suggestions from AMD

Aravind Gopalakrishnan writes ("Re: [Wg-test-framework] Machine suggestions
from AMD"):
> I could see a mix of different micro-architectures and socket config for
> the AMD systems on the spreadsheet.

Right.

> (In fact, I think the second R515 (the cheaper one) is a K10 micro
> architecture which is a little old. But can be
> used for regression tests, etc. I guess)

Indeed, we want a mix of new and old systems precisely because we want
our code to still run on old machines as well as new ones...

> So, as far as variety, we should be fine.

Good.

> Instead of the IBM machine, why not swap that with a HP 385p server?
> (attaching a model I found on the website).
> Looking at IBM x3755's spec, I see it has a 6300 series opteron which is
> a Piledriver micro architecture.
> The HP model I have attached is the same; and is also a 2U (a space
> requirement that we have already factored in).

Sure.  Thanks for doing the legwork.

> It's different from the other AMD ones in that it's a 2P box. (i.e) a
> MCM part. Afaict, others are 1P boxes.

That sounds like useful variety.

> Thoughts?

Sounds good to me.

I will update the spreadsheet with this, and with Paul's updated
prices.