[Wg-test-framework] P&S Changes

Ian,

1. The RocketPort `16port serial /distribution/interface/breakout panel' you mention in your document is what exactly ?  I looked on the Rocketport website and the rackmount interfaces all have RJ45 jacks, but your list of accessories mentions `DB9 Null Modem Cable Female to Female' which suggests DB9 at both ends.  Also, I think we should be buying two 32-port panels to go with our two 32-port cards.  So I think we need two of these:

http://www.comtrol.com/rocketport-multi-port-serial-cards/rocketport-infinity-express-interfaces/rocketport-32port-rj45-rackmount-interface

I will have my supplier get the RJ45 version of the patch panels and the associated cables.  I think we can make an even swap so the totals will not change.  I will contact RocketPort to talk to one of their tech support people.

2. In para 12 you mention `The software required to make the COMTROL Multiplexer operational'.  What software would that be ?  I did a brief search and the Linux kernel contains Documentation/serial/rocket.txt from which it appears that the Comtrol RocketPort is fully supported by an in-tree Linux kernel driver, so no other software ought to be needed.  (For a userland test utility, I suggest the use of `picocom'.)

I was approaching this form a pure hardware point of view, independent of the OS supplied. I need to have a manufacture’s test program to prove to me the hardware is working as a stand-alone-device.

We can use the OS as the test software and make it perform once the OS is installed as an additional test set.

Also in Para 12 you mention some `CHIP SET/BIOS software identified in Exhibit A' but that isn't mentioned in Exhibit A.  I assume you mean the BIOS.  I suggest leaving the text and just deleting the reference to Exhibit A.

I was planning to use the built-in CPU tests on the chip set CD to test the hardware and memory.   I will remove the reference to Exhibit A.

3.

>  There is one HP AMD Server (Item 2 in Appendix A) that I am asking my

> supplier to re-quote it seems high.

Indeed.  The DL385p that I had was about $4000 and your supplier is quoting about $5000.

There is a little profit in the price but I also questioned the base price because I also went to the HP site and could configure a server that was less expensive than what my wholesaler quoted.  I told him to call HP and ask for a “Smart Buy” price.  That is why the prices look better on the HP Site, they are quoting their own “SMART BUY” price.  I am an HP reseller so I should be getting the best price.  I will get back to you if there is any changes in the price.

4. Finally I had one practical point that I perhaps mentioned on the phone but can't find a record of having said in an email: we have a plan to host (at least) one 4U ARM testing chassis in this rack, along with the x86 machines.  How much spare space is there going to be ?

In your list of equipment I see 4x 2U servers, 22x 1U servers, 2x 1U switches, 2x 1U Comtrol panel.  That's a total of 34U leaving 11U of a standard 45U cabinet.  So I think we have some space headroom.

I believe we can support another 4U Rack mounted server.  I have to worry about Wire management, even if we use 1U

With 4 1U Wire Management Racks we will still have 3U left

> I am assuming that the Linus Foundation is a tax exempt organization

> in the US.  I will need the 501(C)(3) documentation to prove the tax

> exempt status.

Wikipedia says the LF is a `California 501(c)(6) nonprofit organization'.  I know very little about US tax law but I don't think that's quite the same.

Lars will be able to confirm the status.

This is not a problem and documentation that shows tax exempt status with a tax exempt number is working work for us.  MA State Tax is 6.25% that is about $3,750.00 on 60K, we absolutely do not want t0 pay that.

> I can include a maintenance agreement, just verify for me the total

> number of hours a month you will require. The maintenance agreement is

> based on a yearly total so if we do not use the allocated hours in any

> one month it does not change the terms or the price of the agreement.

> I.E. 48 hour block time agreement is based on usage per year, although

> it is billed yearly in advanced or monthly in advance.

We do need a maintenance/consultancy agreement.  My guess at the amount of your labour we'll need, post installation, is about 0.5 to 1 day per week.

Can we go with (say) 96 hours as a low-ball estimate for the number of hours in the first half of the year, and buy more as we need it ?

No problem, I can modify the maintenance agreement and send the corrected copy to you.  I will list all the payment options the foundation can choose any option they want.

Paul L. George

PLG Enterprises, Inc.

All-Net Computer Solutions

42 East Main Street