Re: [Wg-test-framework] Notes from Dec 10 meeting with AllNet

Paul,

On 12/12/14 23:32, Paul L. George wrote:
Ian,

Today was a very productive day.  Don, Myself, Chris George and George Pacil
were all involved in trying to slay the server dragons.  Don and Chris
figured out how to wire the RS-232 RJ-45 to DB9-F adaptor.  We are
communicating thru the Serial ports on both Newcastle and Gateshead.  The
COMTROL controller and the 32 port RS-232 patch panel breakout unit are
working as they are supposed to be.

We have setup and verified the operation on 6 test servers and should be in
great shape by the middle of next week.

We have configure the BIOS settings to comply with the list Ian gave us.  To
that end I am going to put a small monitor, mouse and keyboard in the
Cabinet at the COLO so if we run into BIOS problems we will easily have a
way to resolve the issues.

I will get the IP scheme data from the COLO tech tonight or tomorrow.  I
will publish it as soon as I get it.

We are going to start to do the COLO installation this weekend and hopefully
we will be on line with both main servers, the serial connection connected
to at least 2 sets of test servers along with the TCPIP connections thru the
48 Port HP switch.

We have filled my lab with various sets of servers in various states of
configuration.  I hope to have all the servers we have in our possession
configured and ready to install at the COLO by Christmas.

We are missing 2 servers that are the replacement for Item 3 and Item 5.  We
are also waiting for servers 7 & 9.  We have discovered a few problems with
the servers we have.  I was able to resolve problems with 2 of them.  We
have a DELL set that does not want to let us install DEBIAN.  They run
MEMCHK fine but freeze when we start to install the Graphical Installation
of DEBIAN.  I think that we failed to notice if the server was INTEL or AMD.
I believe this server set was AMD.  I have to make an AMD boot DVD.  This
did not occur to me until this instance.  I guess status reports have some
value after all.

DEBIAN's AMD is a 64 bit install, not a cpu type install.

I seem to remember a BIOS setting on DELL machines that can cause
linux to freeze during install (something like Windows OS).  No idea
if that applies.

   -Don Slutz

Cheers Paul