Re: [Wg-test-framework] Notes from Dec 10 meeting with AllNet

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:09:38 +0000
Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Don Koch writes ("Re: [Wg-test-framework] Notes from Dec 10 meeting with
> AllNet"):
> > Found a new driver on their site (after going through a bad "not
> > there" link).  Built and it seems to find the ports. Not yet talking
> > to the other side, yet.
>
> I'm uncomfortable about the idea of an out-of-tree kernel module,
> unless it's absolutely necessary.
>
> If it's just a missing PCI ID can we not just use the modalias system
> to cause the existing driver to recognise the device ?

IIUC, no, we can't use the modalias system. It already maps all rocketport
boards to the rocket driver. The actual code checks for the device ID and
0x0061 is not in the list. We'd either have to modify the rocket driver or
use the one provided by the vendor.

> Ian.

-d