[Wg-test-framework] Minutes All-Net synchronisation call, Jan 21st

= Agenda =

* Server Internal Networking Config

* VM Setup

* Serial Port Problems

* PDU

Lars raised his frustration with lack of progress and many delays due to bad communication or not turning up in meetings.

= (1) Server Internal Networking Config =

Ian is concerned that this is taking too long. It should be a 10 minute jobs

Paul: nobody seems to have been able to solve the problem

Ian: yet no one has talked to me and asked me any questions

Ian: could just do this remotely â he believes he could fix the issue in a few minutes

As a consequence this issue has not been resolved for more than a week.

ACTION: Paul to get Don to contact Ian immediately after the call

ACTION: Lars to add Don Koch to the call (done)

= (2) VM Setup =

Ian was expecting for the VMâs to be created with standard Debian mechanisms. Don seems to be doing the VM Setup via CDâs, which should work.

The issues is that currently temporary IP addresses, etc. are being used. This is inefficient.

Creating the infrastructure VM should solve this issues

Ian: what is blocking the creation of the infrastructure VM.

Paul: Don believes that this is blocked on (1)

ACTION: Cover this in the call with Don

= (3) Comtrol HW failure =

Paul: confirms this is a HW failure

Lars: When do we get the replacement HW

Paul: Comtrol doesnât hotswap and sends spare. It was

Ian: What is the timescale?

Paul: Control HW was sent back yesterday. Paul expects top hear back from Comtrol by the end of the week. They can only investigate when they can look at the unit.

Paul: hopes this to be resolved by Jan 25, but canât confirm. May take up to next Friday.

ACTION: Paul to condirm ETA for resolving this issue

= (4) Serial links between PDUs and Newcastle, Switch and Newcastle =

Ian: based on the information from last week's meeting the connectivity between (serial links between) PDUs and Newcastle, Switch and Newcastle is not working. Has there been any progress?

Paul:  Didnât use serial cables. Infrastructure and testing is not talking to each other. We made the connectors and are waiting for pin-out info from APC

Ian: When do you think you will have the serial connection between PDUs and Newcastle?

Paul: There is an configuration issue with the Comtrol software tool on Newcastle. Paul is looking for help from Ian.

Ian: Was not aware there is an issue with Comtrol on Newcastle. I was asking when will this issue be resolved. We need settings to be accessible via the serial cable. Are you saying that there is no communication between Comtrol via serial. Is this correct?

Paul: As I told you last week that this was working fine. It was working on the bench, but is not working in the datacentre.

Ian: Are the wires identical? Are maybe the pin-outs on adaptors different?

Paul: We are using the same adaptors and cables

Paul:  Something happened during transport.

Ian: When do you think this issue will be completely resolved?

Paul: Donât know, but hopefully next week. By thursday night we will know that the wiring is working. It is conceivable that there is also a HW problem, but we donât know for sure. Need to run HW diagnostic. And will need to go back and Comtrol to see what we need to do to verify this.

Ian: In essence we donât know whether we have any working serial ports.

ACTION: Verify whether there is a HW or SW problem with second comtrol unit

= (5) Other Stuff =

Ian: Is there anything else which is a problem with the test infra rather than the test boxes

Paul: The only other issue is the AMD machine

Ian: It is much more important to deal with the infrastructure (networking and serial problems) which are blocking progress.

Paul: Agrees